“We Will Rock You” is Still the Top Stadium Song
According to music licensing company BMI, the song played the most often at major sporting events in the 2009-2010 season was Queen’s “We Will Rock You”. The 34 year old rock anthem is ubiquitous at sports event and has been for years. It beat out “Let it Rock” by Kevin Rudolf and Lil Wayne. Here’s the complete top ten:
1. “We Will Rock You” performed by Queen
2. “Let It Rock” performed by Kevin Rudolf, featuring Lil Wayne.
3. “Burn It To The Ground” performed by Nickelback.
4. “Boom Boom Pow” performed by the Black Eyed Peas.
5. “Car Wash” performed by Christina Aguilera with Missy Elliott.
6. “Fire Burning” performed by Sean Kingston.
7. “Song 2″ performed by Blur.
8. “Turn My Swag On” performed by Soulja Boy Tell ‘Em
9. “Run This Town” performed by Jay-Z, featuring Rihanna and Kanye West.
10. “Machinehead” performed by Bush
Queen’s “We Are the Champions” has also been a staple at sports events almost since the song was released in. Both songs were from the album News of the World, released in 1977. Since “We Will Rock You” and “We Are the Champions” have both been around longer than a lot of today’s sports fans, here’s the band performing the songs back in the day.
The band’s flamboyant lead vocalist, Freddie Mercury, died in 1991.
Guitarist Brian May, who wrote both songs, is a rocket scientist.
Really, he is. He has a Ph.D in astrophysics.